Thursday, November 20, 2008

Keeping Sabbath

0
One of the values of my faith that I believe is so important is keeping Sabbath. It is so important in fact, that it is one of the “Ten Commandments.”

Sabbath is presented throughout the Bible as principally being about true rest. When we choose to rest each week we demonstrate our respect for our Creator who commanded that we do so. We are reminded that we are not valuable simply because of what we produce in our work and that this applies to others as well. Rest is not a human weakness, necessitated by our work, but rest is a characteristic of God just as work is. Rest has great value!

Whenever I want to “take stock” of my financial values, I often take a look at my check register. This often serves as an indisputable record of my real financial commitments. I believe that our schedules are another of those valuable records that could help us take stock of our values. Does your schedule reflect Sabbath time for God, for yourself, and for those around you?

I am hoping that some of the following questions might help us reflect and evaluate about the important value of keeping Sabbath: Can you give yourself and others permission to truly rest? Is it possible that we can schedule even our recreation endeavors so tightly that they become work rather than restful? How important is worship as part of your weekly Sabbath? What does your schedule communicate to children (your own or others around you)?

Hebrews 10:24 admonishes us to “consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.” It is my hope that as we encourage one another to examine this important value of Sabbath, that it will serve to spur us on toward the love of God and of others.

No Response to "Keeping Sabbath"