Thursday, January 1, 2009

Defeating a Critical Spirit

0
When I was in college the dean of the school of business really pushed for our curriculum to require a class in critical thinking. She complained that young people don’t possess the ability to think critically.

In some ways she was right. We do need the skills to evaluate an argument or position before we agree with it or reject it. Not everything that we read is true just because it is in print, or because somebody famous said it. It is helpful to be able to evaluate what we encounter with a basic logical critique.

In many other ways, however, I believe that our culture is incredibly predisposed to critique everything. It seems as if: Nobody can rise to the level of hero nowadays without every fault being investigated and exposed. If anyone does anything that might appear truly altruistic, we immediately wonder what their real motivation might have been. I am amazed at how automatic the vilification of a candidate for public service is just by virtue of which party she or he chooses.

Maybe we could use those critical thinking skills a little better by choosing not to listen to allegations which are offered without a basis in provable fact (like at least 75% of the allegations I have heard about our new President-Elect). Maybe we could assume that people are people before they are republicans or democrats or liberal media or fundamentalist or right wing or whatever other label they wear. Maybe we could give people we don't agree with at least enough credit to assume that they love their families, their country, and God as much as we do.

I believe that there is truly room for critique and disagreement. I believe that we often need to contend with others for what we believe. I also believe that if we aren't careful, we exceed these values and descend into a truly (unconstructively) habitually critical perspective about everything and everyone. I have excused much of my own critique of others, particularly in the Church, as an expression of my passion to be an effective leader in an effective Church. While I have no intention of any apathy with regard to my love of God, my core values, my faith, or my ambition for the Church or myself; I do purpose to value others and to be more free with affirmation and more reserved with critique. I purpose to assume the best rather than the worst about those I disagree with, at least until when and if I'm proven wrong. I purpose to value collaboration at points of agreement over seeking to defeat those I disagree with. I want to live by the conviction that love truly does prevail!

No Response to "Defeating a Critical Spirit"