Saturday, January 3, 2009

Broken World -- Broken People

2

If you decide to follow the attached website link (by clicking this blogpost title), please be prepared for some pretty sad pictures. The article is about the drinking culture of Great Britain, particularly as experienced over New Year's Eve night. As I viewed the pictures and read the captions, I began to experience a powerful wave of genuine sorrow for the people in them.

It appears to me that Satan must compete with his own personal best for just how much God-given dignity and value he can strip us of in exchange for as little benefit as possible. I wonder what these people anticipated when they set out for their evening? I doubt they anticipated being beaten bloody in a drunken brawl or passing out in a street in a pool of their own vomit.

These were the conditions of most of Europe in the mid-1700's just before the Great Awakening in which genuine Holy Spirit-empowered revival broke out throughout Europe and then America and literally saved their and our culture from self-destructing.

I was just thinking that if all this breaks my heart, how much it must break God's heart, Who created these people in His own image and likeness. I pray for another Great Awakening for all of our world.

What a mission field we live in!

2 Response to Broken World -- Broken People

January 4, 2009 at 8:42 PM

We'll have to fight back hard against the devil. The problem, it seems to me, is how are we going to attack the problems if we are too afraid to preach in the strong ways those Methodists did?

Ken
January 5, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I completely agree and am very sobered by that indictment on modern preaching.

I do believe though, that even before that we need to be in earnest prayer. All of the great revivals of Christian history started in the midst of prayer and even fasting.