Thursday, January 8, 2009

Holiness of Heart and Life

1
This is an excerpt from a paper that I am submitting in response to my reading of a book by Scott Jones entitled, John Wesley's Conception and Use of Scripture. I'm just curious if any of you who read my blog might have a reaction to my reaction to this book:

Holiness of Heart and Life

This is an area where I have often wished that my denomination (United Methodist) had more closely followed John Wesley’s teaching and example. I fear that much of our preaching, and much of our congregation’s expectations of preaching is based on grace that Dietrich Bonheoffer termed “cheap.” There seems to be little in the way of accountability for “going on to perfection” for the average lay person in membership of the UMC (or for post-ordained clergy for that matter).

I truly doubt that one could preach Christian perfection as presented in Wesley’s sermons and letters as illustrated by Jones (author of above book) without more than a little objection from laity and eventually even from ecclesial executives who love harmony perhaps even more than they love scriptural authenticity. This kind of preaching, in the context of much prayer and by the power of the Holy Spirit, is what I believe brought about the last Great Awakening. Our culture, and that of Great Britain’s as well, is I fear in just as dire a spiritual and cultural predicament as they were prior to that great revival.

1 Response to Holiness of Heart and Life

January 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Hey, I know what you mean. I have preached holiness and perfection my whole time preaching. In my first church, it was well-received but that ground had been prepared YEARS before by a Methodist layman sold out to perfection.

At the Rock, it is accepted by many-- some who want to hear it because they believe it and say they have not heard it in years, and some because it is real HOPE. If you are an addict, a downtrodden sinner, it is life to hear that God will not simply forgive you, but will crush sin's power to keep dominating you.

It is also the sermon (along with sermons I preach on fasting) that elicit the most negative responses. The ones who holler the most have been ordained UM pastors.

Preach it, Ken! Real preaching will make people mad. Raging mad at times. The Gospel IS offensive; you're telling people they have a problem, a problem they generally like! ANd you're also telling them they can't do anything about it, only God can.

So you insult them and take away their precious self-reliance. We have a hard job, my man.

Best book you can read to keep yourself motivated and encouraged: Wesley's Veterans, vol 2, John Nelson's biography. Wesleyanbooks.com should have it. It is life.

Sorry this is so long. You're stirring up good stuff!